To ensure that household articles are moved without any damages, the right kind of packing supplies have to be purchased. Costs can be cut if you buy the right quantity and type. Sometimes you can look for cheaper alternatives, such as wrapping paper with newspaper. Moving blankets can be substituted with your used rugs or blankets. It is important that you take care to check what can be packed in the cheaper alternatives. For example, wrapping glassware in newspapers will definitely leave a residue that will take time cleaning later. If they are wrapped in packing paper you save the step of cleaning in the end.
After having identified which household goods are to be moved, you need to look at which items will require special-care packaging. Then, based on these calculations, you need to shop for moving supplies. Moving supplies can be bought at a retail store specializing in moving supplies, or any other specialized outlets. The best, and easiest, option is to shop online where there are umpteen online moving companies.
There are many ways to save time and money and buy all the necessary supplies for moving. Depending on the size of your home, you can opt for moving kits or packing kits. These kits consist of all that is required to move a 2-4 bedroom home. These kits are a lot cheaper than buying the same moving supplies separately.
Here is an example of a moving kit required for a 3-4 bedroom home (about 95 moving boxes and supplies are needed):
- 20 small boxes - 16-5/8” x 12-1/2” x 12-1/2”
- 20 medium boxes - 18” x 18” x 16”
- 45 large boxes - 18” x 18” x 24”
- 10 extra large boxes - 24” x 18” x 24”
- 50’ roll (3/16”) bubble wrap
- 6 lb. packing paper
- 10 bags - 15 gallon capacity
- 3 tape rolls – 2” x 110”
- 2 marker pens
When looking to buy moving supplies, not all accessories are needed. Many moving supply accessories have alternatives or can be replaced with cheaper materials. For example, you can use regular scissors instead of box cutters, markers instead of labels and newspapers instead of packing paper.
Here’s a short intro on moving boxes when, what and how much is required:
- It is best to pack stereo, computers, TV, DVD/VCR players, electronic goods in their original boxes. So it is always a good option to never discard the original boxes and the packing materials.
- To pack fragile items, it is best to buy specialty or new moving boxes.
- Boxes can be borrowed from friends or neighbors or picked up from department stores where boxes are discarded everyday. This is also a good cost-cutting measure.
- It is good to buy more of the small moving boxes as moving is a lot easier and faster because these can be moved without assistance.
- Wardrobe boxes and picture/mirror boxes are also good buys as they facilitate easy and damage-free moving.
- Some specialty moving boxes are ideal for packing paintings and artwork. There are boxes made exclusively for different types of musical instruments, lamp boxes and file boxes.
It is always good to maintain a checklist and research on the various moving boxes, accessories and moving supplies. Moving involves a lot of expenses so any kind of cost-cutting measure can be a major benefit.