These are boxes that are of little investment value and not worth holding on to for your next unforeseeable move. That is why it is prudent to seek as much discount as possible on them. Fortunately, there are online sources from where discounted moving boxes can be obtained and even delivered free to your doorstep.
Discount boxes are not used boxes, nor are they free boxes. They are actually new boxes available at discounted prices. They may have minor defects but they are still suitable for moving purposes.
Discount boxes remain so throughout the year, every year. You may wonder how suppliers sustain their business with such a regular discount policy. The answer is threefold:
- They buy in huge quantities – some buy over a million boxes a year – from box manufacturers and avail of big volume discounts.
- In some cases, manufacturers take advantage of the internet by cutting out the middleman and passing on the profit margin to the buyer.
- Though there is an enormous demand for moving boxes in the US, the market is crowded with suppliers vying for slices of the same pie. Price is the predominant competitive tool for suppliers. [Note: The principal quality criterion for boxes is the Edge Crush Test (ECT) value which should be at least 32 for moving boxes not to be crushed in transit. Heavy-duty boxes should be double-walled and have an ECT value of 44].
One basic limitation of online purchases is that it does not give you feel of the product. There have been instances of customers shocked at disparities in the quality of boxes as seen on websites and the real boxes delivered. To keep from being cheated, the following tips should help:
- Check out the ‘about us’ page on the websites of suppliers. Look at the guarantees, return policy and the stated ECT values of the boxes. You must select a supplier that provides you at least the following two guarantees:
- Certified quality, particularly ECT values of 32 for regular moving boxes and 44 for heavy-duty boxes.
- Take-back policy subject to mutually fair and reasonable conditions.
- Get quotes from at least five suppliers. You can access them through www.monstermoving.com and www.moversdirectory.com.
The risks involved in online buying discount boxes online are minuscule in comparison to the advantages, which are:
- Moving box calculator: Use the moving box calculator available on the websites of the suppliers. The calculator recommends different combinations of boxes appropriate for your move (it is calculated on the basis of the number of rooms and/or different types of items that you will move).
- Instant and comparative quotes: The internet enables you to get quotes for your boxes instantly and from several companies to enable you to make the best choice.
- Moving tips: The websites of many online box suppliers provide useful tips to reduce your cost of moving and increase moving efficiency.
- Ease and comfort: You can do all of the above without having to step out of your home or office.
There are many online suppliers of discount boxes throughout the United States, most of whom also provide free shipping locally or discounted shipping to more distant cities. You can access the websites of these suppliers through www.google.com as well as through online directories of moving companies/box suppliers, such as www.monstermoving.com and www.moversdirectory.com.
The following is an illustrative selection of five online suppliers:
- BoxKits.com (www.moveout.com): This company buys over a million boxes every year from the biggest box manufacturers in the United States and therefore gets them at hugely discounted prices. It delivers to all 48 contiguous states and enables you to track your box shipment.
- BoxYourStuff.com (www.boxyourstuff.com): Based in Hainesport, NJ, this company supplies discount boxes with free shipping and two-day delivery to the following areas: Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, Virginia, Massachusetts, Maryland, Rhode Island, and Washington, D.C. For other locations, shipping is discounted.
- DirectMovingBoxes.com (www.directmovingboxes.com): This company offers moving boxes at wholesale prices. It also offers free shipping on all orders without the condition of a minimum order size for most of the United States.
- ABF U-Pack Moving (www.upack.com): This company offers a 10% discount on moving boxes to customers who have made a ‘moving reservation’ in combination with a box order throughout the United States.
- BoxBuyOnline.com (www.shopping.netsuite.com): This is a Texas-based online company that sells moving boxes at half-price, offers free same-day delivery in the Dallas Fort Worth area and free next-day delivery in most other parts of the United States. For free delivery though, orders must of at least $100.
How They Do It
Discounted moving boxes are not used or free boxes. They are new boxes sold at discounted prices. Companies are able to offer such discounts because they make bulk purchases from manufacturers, which reduce their procurement cost per box. Some manufacturers have also eliminated the middleman and passed the savings on to the customer.
You, the customer, should place your order to suppliers who provide guarantees of certified quality and take-back policy. In addition to the ease and speed of ordering, websites of suppliers also help you assess your box requirements and get and compare quotes.